Sunday, January 10, 2010

Simply Sent Kits

One of my favorite things to do is to take a kit and challenge myself to make unique cards for various occasions using the kit as a "jumping off" place.  Last year Patty Bennett showed how you could do this with a Simply Scrappin' Kit on her website, and today I'm going to show how I did it with a Simply Sent kit.

Simply Sent kits are the perfect solution for people who like to make cards but don't have or want to have a large inventory of paper, ink, and embellishments to choose from.  There are several kinds of kits, from ones that include the stamp sets to ones that don't but have stamp sets available to purchase separately.  The one I'm using is called "Petite Pansies" (Item 115704 in the Idea Book & Catalog, $42.95).


Now, some of you may be saying "I'm beyond a beginner, what would I need one of those for?"  Well, in a pinch, you have everything pre-cut for you (like when you go to a workshop or stamp camp) and the instructions are laid out for making some specific cards.  But then you can also incorporate your own supplies using the basics of this kit to jump-start your creativity!

I challenged myself to make cards using only three stamp sets, "Petite Pansies" which it came with, "Of The Earth" hostess stamp set, or "Vintage Vogue" (new in the Occasions Mini and available as a Clear-Mount stamp set!)  I also challenged myself to stick as close as possible to the basic colors that came with the kit, which were Very Vanilla, Perfect Plum, and Close to Cocoa.

First, here are the cards I made using the exact instructions and supplies that came with the kit:

Oh and even though the kit doesn't say to do this, I ALWAYS stamp my envelopes!  Sometimes I repeat an image used inside the card, other times I use a coordinating image from elsewhere in the stamp set.

Next, I tried making variations of my own, but still using the same stamp set:

I don't know how well it is showing up, but for the Birthday Wishes card on the right, I ran the Perfect Plum piece through the "Perfect Polka Dots" impressions folder which is also new with the 2010 Occasions Mini.  I love the subtle texture it gives the card!  And I pulled out my Chocolate Chip marker so that I could stamp "Birthday Wishes" on two lines instead of just one.  Mixing the ribbons together is another fun thing to do, and a great way to use up tiny scraps.

The next three were made using "Of the Earth":

Now I've started pulling out my punches!  Anyone who knows me knows that I LOVE punches, and I never have a Stamp Club or Workshop without several.  The card on the left is using two of my favorites - Modern Label (for the label of course) which was new in the 2009-2010 Idea Book & Catalog, and the ALL NEW Scallop Trim Border Punch.  The new punches have a more compact design which makes them even easier to use and they fold up for easier storage.  I love the "peek-a-boo" effect of this punch!

The center card uses another of my favorites, the Scallop Circle, which happened to fit this image perfectly (even though Stampin' Up! plans a lot of stamps to match punches I don't think that was intended here).  My label was stamped using the 5/8" Very Vanilla grosgrain ribbon included in the kit, but I used Craft Chocolate Chip ink and adhered the ribbon with 5/16" Neutrals Brads.  Nice change of pace on the usual card label!

The right-hand card uses the Elegant Eggplant "rick-rack" from the "Orchard" Ribbon originals.  These ribbon sets are great because you get a variety of coordinating ribbon without having to buy a spool of each.  And of course another favorite punch, the Wide Oval punch.

And the last three were made using "Vintage Vogue":

I fell in love with this set the first time I opened the catalog.  In particular I love the big "F Friend" stamp because I can use it as a monogram for me or anyone in my immediate family!  The large flower from this set begs to have something in the middle, so for one card I used Filigree Brads (another big favorite of mine and many of my Stamp Clubbers!) and on the right I used the Clear Rhinestone Brads (and there's my favorite Scallop Trim Border Punch again with Very Vanilla ribbon peeking out from underneath!)

So in the end, I now have 10 cards and envelopes on hand to use for various occasions.  These are 4x4 cards so if you want to mail these, the cards can be put into a standard sized envelope instead.  I hope this inspires you to think closer about ordering these kits to have on hand or to give as gifts to someone who likes to make their own cards but doesn't have a lot of time or supplies.  By ordering a kit like this plus the "Orchard" ribbon originals, you'd qualify instantly for a free item from the Sale-A-Bration catalog!  Let me know if you'd like to try this, or click on the Shop Now button of my website (click on the Stampin' Up! logo to the right of this post).

Thanks, have a great day!
Peg

No comments:

Post a Comment