Monday, March 15, 2010

Simply Sunday Sketch Challenge - Week of March 15

The Ides of March are upon us!  Fancy word for March 15th, and one month till Tax Day!  And I had to pay bills today.  And Daylight Savings Time is still making me really sleepy!  But, I perked up and got a Second Wind when I finally got around to this week's Simply Sunday Sketch Challenge with Heather!  Here's the sketch:

Pretty straightforward, eh?  So here's my contribution to the challenge:

I knew right away I had to play with a new stamp set that will be previewed in April (and available in the 2010-2011 Idea Book & Catalog) called Awash With Flowers!  And, with all those buttons on the sketch, I decided to let the embellishments determine my color choices.

I happen to have the Playground Designer Buttons (116313), and lots of them.  The colors are Tempting Turquoise, More Mustard, Real Red, and Old Olive.  Not a combination that comes naturally to me - so more the challenge!  I dug through and found that I had More Mustard in my Autumn Traditions DSP (115668), which just goes to show you that even though it is a Fall-Themed paper pack, you can use elements of it in other ways!  As for Tempting Turquoise, that DEFINITELY is a color I'm not used to grabbing.  In general I don't gravitate towards the Bold Brights too often!

As if there wasn't enough texture going on with the buttons, I gave the Tempting Turquoise piece some subtle texture with the Stampin' Up! Backgrounds I Texturz plates (114512).  Unlike the embossing folders, the texture plates give just a hint of texture - which was just the right amount for this project.  Then to finish it up, I pulled out another lesser used friend - Chit Chat rub-ons (111804!).  This is why I showed you two pictures of this card.  I generally try to make more than one of any card, and with the Rub-Ons, there are no duplications on the messages.  I wanted you to see both!

I want to decorate the inside too, but I'm too tired and it's late - besides the band has gone home!  That will be a post for later in the week.  I hope you like this card, and I hope Heather does too!

Good night!
Peg

No comments:

Post a Comment